Curr Dev Nutr. 2024 Apr 5;8(5):102155. doi: 10.1016/j.cdnut.2024.102155. eCollection 2024 May.

ABSTRACT

BACKGROUND: Consumers of overnight home parenteral nutrition (HPN) often experience sleep disruption; however, existing healthy sleep recommendations are widely inapplicable to consumers.

OBJECTIVES: The aim of this mixed-methods, community-based participatory research study was to develop tailored recommendations on healthy sleep practices for HPN consumers.

METHODS: The multipart study involved the following: 1) an initial draft of sleep recommendations based on the evaluation of existing general sleep hygiene guidelines by an expert panel of clinicians and consumers with lived experience; 2) semi-structured focus groups with consumers and clinicians; 3) pre- and post-knowledge tests completed by consumers, and 4) final approval of the recommendations by the expert panel.

RESULTS: The literature synthesis resulted in 51 recommendations evaluated for relevance for HPN consumers. Focus groups with 20 HPN consumers and clinicians contributed additional recommendations based on lived experience. Ultimately, the final resource included recommendations spanning 4 sections: getting ready for bed, preparing the bedroom for sleep, daytime behaviors, and overall strategies for better sleep. Of the 36 recommendations, 58% were derived from existing general sleep hygiene guidelines, and the remaining 42% addressed sleep challenges experienced uniquely by consumers, including nocturnal polyuria, noise/light from medical equipment, and infusion schedules. Knowledge tests completed by 10 additional consumers indicated a modest increase in sleep health knowledge.

CONCLUSIONS: The curated healthy sleep resource tailored for HPN consumers was facilitated by a multidisciplinary expert panel, a strategic collaboration with members of the HPN community and their clinicians, and in partnership with patient advocacy and support organizations. The wide distribution of these resources may improve the overall well-being of HPN consumers.

PMID:38689594 | PMC:PMC11059546 | DOI:10.1016/j.cdnut.2024.102155